Communicating with the Public SIG
CwP SIG objectives:
- educate and inform EMWA members about this important and expanding area of medical writing
- advance the interaction with Regulatory Agencies and other organisations on this topic to highlight the importance and value of trained medical writers to do this work
- establish interaction with patient advocacy groups and specialists from organisations such as the MRCT Centre to help to highlight the need and value-add that medical writers can bring to this area of medical writing
Lisa Chamberlain James
- Slavka Baronikova
- Tiziana von Bruchhausen
- Art Gertel
SIG supporting members:
- Diana Ribeiro
- Carola Krause - EC liaison
- Silvia Berlingeri
- Alison Rapley
- Sara Ferrao
- Joana Fernandes
- Lena Brydon
- Sampoorna Satheesha Rappaz
- Urszula Miecielica
CwP SIG Membership
If you are interested in joining the CwP SIG, please contact the SIG Chair: CwPsig@emwa.org.
CwP SIG Meetings
The CwP SIG holds regular virtual meetings to discuss topics of interest. If you would like to join us, please email us at CwPsig@emwa.org. Please note that only EMWA members can participate.
9th EMWA Symposium
Communicating with the Public – what has the COVID-19 pandemic taught us?
Thursday 5th May 2022, Berlin, Germany
Latest news and activities
Medical Writing Journal:
Communicating with the public is an expanding area in our field. There is a dedicated section of the journal: Medical Communications and Writing for Patients
Medical Writing journal from December 2020 (https://journal.emwa.org/writing-for-patients/) provided useful content created by experienced medical writers working on this field of expertise.
Article on Plain Language Summaries of Publications (https://journal.emwa.org/medical-journalism/)
New Lexicon Unveiled
In 2020, the MRCT Center launched a pilot project to develop a plain language clinical research glossary with an amazing workgroup of patient advocates and other representatives from across the clinical research industry. Please see the list of workgroup members here.
The team worked together to create clinical research definitions and explanations that are:
- plain language
- understandable to a wide audience
- in line with industry and regulatory standards
This lexicon was launched in June 2021, and is now freely available for use:
The NIHR plain English summaries guide was published in April 2021.
This guidance is for researchers writing plain English summaries, and board and panel members including public reviewers.
Plain English summaries (nihr.ac.uk)
The CwP SIG will be hosting a one day symposium at the EMWA Spring meeting in 2022, dedicated to communicating with the public – watch this space for further details!!
The CwP SIG is active on EMWA's LinkedIn page. You can find us via #EMWACwPSIG.